Wednesday, August 24, 2022

The Ability To Lose Earrings

I have got lots of lovely pairs of earrings, which is a good thing. Even before the pandemic I was good at losing them- when tucking my hair behind my ears, taking off my jumper, moving my bag from one shoulder to the other... even in my house, a bit like those socks that just-one-sock disappear and you have no idea where to.

I have been doing an earring audit, because during the pandemic the ability to lose them ramped up considerably when they fell off when I was putting on or taking off my mask. I had been wearing the best ones to cheer myself up: no point in wearing lipstick under all that cloth, and it made me feel dressed up in a more subtle way than 'all dressed up and nowhere to go', even though there was, in fact, nowhere to go during the lockdowns.

I can wear odd-sized gold hoops quite happily, but the fantastic bolo-tie type bull's head looks damn silly hanging on its little hook all by itself. Or maybe it doesn't. A long time ago, I deliberately knitted odd socks to wear because I thought it was silly wearing matching socks just because you had two feet. They're not twins, are they? They are mirror images of each other. A little boy and his mum followed me down the street once, with him telling his mum how silly I was not to have noticed that my socks were different colours.

From now on, wearing odd earrings is de rigeur in my world. I lost those socks ages ago (both of them), but I'll continue to wear odd earrings until I've lost the odd one of each pair too- then I'll smile.

No comments: