Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Afternoon Sound

Motivation got me, and I sat down at the kitchen table and started editing some dodgy guitar parts on one of my songs. I think it's in the right place now: I had to chop the bits up and slide them along the grid to the bar lines.

Next thing, I set up the microphone to sing the most difficult song. The vocals on everything I've done so far sound OK, but I have realised that I need to pitch the mood exactly right for each song. So this one, high up in my vocal register, had to be sung really softly. I won't know if it's OK until my ears have had a rest. The next song had to be sung in one take, and I don't think I'm going to put anything like reverb on it because I want it to sound like someone speaking a song: delivering the lyrics to the melody as though it's coming out in a conversation. The third song had to sound really intimate, and I had  problem with the open-throated notes being really loud so I had to rein them in. 

Finally, I had to just sing a couple of words at the very end of another song, just to make sense of the lyrics.

I wore my voice out, so I swapped to guitar and tried to replace a guitar part. The click track (metronome) is too busy-sounding and threw me every time. That's a song I might have to re-do from scratch.

I'll do more tomorrow.

No comments: