Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Literally Fine Tuning

I have to decide whether to edit and edit again, or whether to play the parts one more time. I've spent so much time listening today that I can't 'hear' any more and have shut everything down until tomorrow. There's a guitar part (very difficult) that needs to be played with more feel. I can only get through half of it before I start making mistakes, and it's not an easy one to cobble together from different takes. But every time I play it, it gets better. So the guitar is set up and waiting for tomorrow when magic might just happen. That's what all musicians wait for: magic. It's why we don't stop, and why we endlessly pursue elusive ghosts down dark alleyways. The thing about doing this all at home is that it's such a blast learning so much. Yes, the occasional swear word escapes my fair lips, and the callouses on the ends of my fingers (from playing guitar) are akin to rhinoceros's toenails. Housework's a stranger. But every day I learn more about timing and editing and yes, when it's the right time to delete the lot and start again. I did that yesterday- played a whole song with a different rhythm and picking style before deciding the original one was fine after all. It's like swimming through sound. I can't believe the majority of these tracks are less than four minutes long. They seem so deep!

1 comment:

Wilky of St Albans said...

It's one thing I wonder at. I hear a finished song and it sounds like it was created effortlessly. The listener doesn't know the sweat and toil that goes into making music. Is it made any easier using software to move stuff around? Yes if we're talking electronica, as there's no other way of making it. Same with modern orchestral. But when it comes to pouring your heart and soul into it then it has to be just you, the mic, and the Revox