Saturday, May 05, 2007

Twee-but-true: the story of Freight Train

I wrote Freight Train while I was walking up the road with a bagful of laundry that I'd just washed at the launderette at the bottom of Chatsworth Road, in Kilburn. That's why it has a pace like that- left/right/left/right, walking speed. When I got to the top of the hill where our house was, I got to the bit of the song where there ought to be some sort of solo. There was a tree in our garden where a blackbird used to sing its heart out. It was there, singing its usual song, perfectly in pitch with what I'd been writing in my head.
So the song was completed by a bird.

Next: the West songwriters did themselves proud on Thursday, I was absolutely delighted by their lovely music and also their dignity.

Next: I have finally read the final final final proofs of the book, and now will be able to catch up with lots of people I haven't seen for months. Watch out, everybody!

There are grand plans afoot for songwriting projects, and also Song Club starts up too this week, with Jamie taking over from Dan. Next week I also hope to finish Joby's soundtrack with Pete's weird sound toys on it, and then I'll begin to finish the next album!

P.s. hello blogreaders from Birkenhead!

1 comment:

Les said...

Awww! I love that song. Played the 7" at this DJ night we do every month in Washington, D.C.

<3