Sunday, May 27, 2007

Bens with Beards


There are two Bens with beards that hang out at Utrophia- possibly more but I haven't met the others yet!
I picked up Diana and her sprite, Merlin and we drove down to Greenwich. Things had started up already; the whole place was looking very tidy (strange since they will have to leave quite soon), all painted and partitioned. The spider plants were still thriving though, having taken on the characteristics of vast lion's manes.
The music was great- I don't know which photos to post so I won't post any yet- there was a really good band with a guy yelling and playing a black fur and gaffa-tape covered guitar, with a female drummer who looked fantastic- a bit like Lily Allen'a younger sister, perhaps.
Then Temperatures played, right up high in a warehouse- we had to go out into the delivery yard to watch them. They were fizzing with energy and anger, really really good, the best I've seen them, and even though it was cold and damp they radiated enough heat to keep everyone out there watching them.
I have a photo of them, as well as the girl drummer from the other band. The last thing I saw (I left early and missed loads I know) was a duo called the Children, who I thought were mesmerising. I'd been chatting to the guitarist earlier, and they'd just come back from New Orleans watching marching bands. The duo consisted of him, playing a semi-acoustic guitar, and a woman playing a 5-string semi-acoustic bass. They were incredibly hippyish (of that era, I think, as they were older than me!), but their first song was really good, sort of languid with harmonies and new-age lyrics. They transformed the evening into a happening circa 1968, with the audience sitting on the floor just absorbing them. I potographed them, too- they did look good as the woman had long hair and a little hat and the guy had ginger hair and a yellow duster over the microphone (germguard?). But one of the best things was the way they moved- they obviously do a lot of playing together because they swayed in unison with the same hip movements. Great. You must see them if you can- although they are completely in a time-warp, they take you back there with them, and it's quite an experience.
Utrophia just put on the best nights, always unexpected, a different atmosphere every time, and that rare thing-about-town: unposey fun!
And I have been given the new CD by Shimmy Rivers and Canal, which I shall review as soon as I have bludgeoned my way to the CD player.
Oh yes- I'm playing tonight at Viva Viva in Hornsey High Street, an unusual gig for me as Paul's coming along.
Starts at 8.

No comments: