Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Songwriters Anonymous

This was at a different place to last time but it had a very similar 'vibe' man- very informal, comfortable chairs. As I got there, Nev was singing and telling everyone about his Jennifer Jones collection on Myspace (that's the title of one of his songs). Two women sitting next to me were singing along. This seems to be the new thing and it's lovely- at Katy and Sharon's gig a few weeks ago everyone was joining in as they picked up the songs... informal.
Next was a guy called Eddie's Brother, who did comical songs with some fantastic guitar playing; he had a very relaxed and casual playing style but he knew what he was doing with them chords. The songs were very funny except for the last one which was not one for a rabid feminist's ears, being about women leaving hair all over the house and liking shoes. Men like football and fart, don't they?
The best one was Harry Cheeseman, who had a shaky start but not only writes really good songs (they sort of reminded me of the Monochrome Set but with less arty lyrics) but has an incredible voice that probably has Elvis turning in his grave. Huge, deep, powerful and very mature for a young chap. Luckily, he didn't make any attempt to look like Elvis, because he had long hair. But if I was a nice record company (they don't exist, unfortunately), I'd give him an island in Scotland and tell him to go off there and write 15 albums. I was very surprised to see someone so much a cut above the normal singer/songwritery person on a Tuesday night in King's Cross. very rough around the edges, but very good.

Well, I actually really got into my gig, too. I was just in the perfect mood to live the songs. Nev asked me to cut the set a bit short because it was all running late but as I was playing I heard him exclaim 'Good Songs' and he came up and asked me to play a normal set after all. I managed to play Poetry and Rhyme all the way through, so I havegot you, you difficult song. and singing came easy and my throat didn't attempt to strangle me as it does sometimes.
It was a good evening. Nev chooses good acts.
Pete, nice to see you again, and also Ian from Nude Magazine and your friend who likes the Chefs. Gabriella was there too- must mean Katy is away somewhere.Nother busy day at Docklands work today, but it's sunny and I am happy.

No comments: