Saturday, January 24, 2009

Charlie

I went to the 12 Bar last night to see Alex Lipinsky play. Interestingly , on the way in a very well-dressed man was offering a student some cocaine in exchange for a quid for the parking meter. I wonder if he does that in the supermarket? It would be weird to see him at the checkout with a bag of groceries trying to pay with a wrap of heroin! The poor (quite liderally) student just said, 'Sorry, I'm a student, I haven't got any money', which put cocaine-man's gas at a peep.
Alex's band are great (although they need some advice about what to wear on stage). They are very well-rehearsed, give Alex space to sing, and support his sometimes quite shy, but not coy, performing persona loyally. The songs are Big- it was incongruous to hear what will become stadium-filling songs in the tiny and squashed 12-Bar ( I didn't buy a drink as I didn't want to use the disgusting loos. Take note, bar manager, if your takings nosedive). However the sound system in the venue is of such high quality that the whole show worked really well. The songs are tuneful, characterful and have strong choruses, and best of all Alex is a really committed and sincere performer. Yes, he was my student, and yes, I was proud of him!

Tonight, come down to the Perseverance in Marylebone (1 Shroton Street), where there's a night of song and poetry beginning at 8 and costing £3. I have decided to play some new songs, but I won't unless you come along. Put on your scarf, your mittens with elastic running through your coat sleeves and that hat you look silly in, and bumble down to the funky West End for the evening!

No comments: