Friday, July 06, 2007

Fridaysfishnchipsisevrybody'appyyerbetyerlifeweare

Well, I was running out of titles! Do you remember that song? I can hardly remember it at all but I can remember that bit.
Song Club went very well yesterday- one little boy was really cross at the beginning of term because he didn't want to come but his mum said he had to- and yesterday although he'd been off school with a broken arm, he asked his mum to bring him along after school so he could join in.
The latest song has a definite psychedelic feel to it, mostly due to the children's lyrics. Instead of writing songs about bomber squadrons and heroic British fighter pilots singing God Save the Queen as they plunge to their deaths through the fog, their lyrics ara all about saying what you like when you're in the air all alone, looking at whales down below in the sea, clouds like pillows and lots of other dreamy things.
Much better.
This has been a very weird week, in which I have been tortured by various doctors in various hospitals, panicked to finish some freelance work, done a little bit of recording (yesterday), eaten almost all the fudge I brought home from Edinburgh (I'm doing an experiment to locate the point at which you have to stop eating it to prevent yourself from feeling sick), but generally felt quite happy even though it has poured with rain.
I got a minicab back late one night with a Bangladeshi driver who was ecstatically happy because it was chucking it down. 'Just like Bangladesh!', he said, and told me all about swimming in waterfalls in the mountains. He completely eradicated my assumption that Bangladesh was all about misery and floods, all the time. It sounds like a country with a lot of very beautiful natural areas.
Tomorrow, I'm meeting a woman who is writing something about the Lost Women book for the Guardian Women's page.
I have a stye on my right eye that feels a bit as though a huge hen is perched on it, winking at everybody and saying LOOK AT ME. While fascinating to watch its progress, I would rather it either belonged to someone else, or that it was a piece of costume jewellery that I could remove when I got bored with it.
If it hangs around much longer I'll make it into a feature, give it a name and perhaps its own column in the Barnet Times.

No comments: