Thursday, February 15, 2024

Ladies And Gentlemen Who Lunch

Ah, just relaxing with a cup of coffee. The tracks that I did for Gina wouldn't upload (only the other end of the street has Broadband, and apparently I never will), so I took them down there this morning along with croissants. Gina made the coffee, and we transferred them to her computer. Natasha is going round this afternoon to put cello on some of them. I can't wait to hear what they sound like next time I'm there!

Tom Hardy a.k.a. Lester Square emailed me out of the blue last week, and it seemed like a good idea to meet up with him and Mike Slocombe, the original Helen and the Horns, and have lunch together. 

Here we were, when Dave (trombone) and Paul (sax) had just joined, recording at Cold Storage studios in Brixton, playing the first version of our song Freight Train in all it's glory: https://helenmccookerybook.bandcamp.com/track/freight-train-featuring-lester-square-on-guitar

Music leads people into such interesting avenues. Tom is now writing on environmental issues for Byeline Times, and Mike continues to run the non-profit site http://www.urban75.com/ and also the Brixton Buzz https://www.brixtonbuzz.com/ (again, non-profit) as well as DJ-ing in Brixton to packed houses. We went to Mildred's in Soho and squashed ourselves into a corner. It was very noisy, but we ended up making our own noise and carving out a noise-space for our own conversation. Probably some of it I can't recount (the Priti Patel thing), but we talked about music industry and band behaviour, finding archive songs, and hierarchies in families until home-time. 

I was delighted when I got home to have an email from James to say he likes the mix of 24 Hours that I sent to him. Now I have to go through all four Chefs tracks we recorded, and check for unwanted noise, then match them up to each other sound-wise. 

But not today. 

I may need to go out for a bit to escape from next door's perpetually-yapping terrier, or I may just tune it out and slob about with this coffee all afternoon. 


No comments: