Thursday, February 08, 2024

A Good Session

Funny how laptop technology can demystify things. In one large bag I packed the laptop, interface, a couple of leads and a microphone, and headed down to Sarf London to record James's backing vocals. He'd thought of a nice part for 24 Hours and although I'd re-recorded it at 130 BPM, James preferred our original version and we worked on that. If it's slightly slower, you can hear the interplay between the guitars and I can understand his preference. I'm going to replace my own guitar part on it with a solid-body guitar to give it more guts.

As soon as I woke up this morning I had an idea for one of Gina's songs. That will have to wait until tomorrow, because today is going to be a social day. My friend Joan is coming to rummage through charity shops: unfortunately a walk is out of the question because the local area has turned into a soaked sponge and squelches even if you think about it.

It's good to have to wait. I'm a strong believer in ears-rests between recording sessions; sometimes it's hard to do but it allows a bit of objectivity to kick in, and also allows you to make aesthetic decisions about edits and so on.

Anyway, what I'm doing is procrastinating. I should be cleaning the house because of visitors, instead of splodging about writing this. Outside the rain is dribbling like an over-ripe melon. 

I'll need to get motivated to go out and buy bread, but right now I just need the energy to

stand

up.

No comments: