Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Bits And Pieces

I woke up at 5 this morning, after dreaming about all sorts of things from the past. That happens sometimes and I just have to wait until those moments are over...

There was something that I had to do this morning, and after that I got my hair cut. Newly sheared, I do a double-take whenever I pass a mirror.  Who's that weirdo? Somewhat distressingly, the salon owner has had so many treatments to his face that I didn't recognise him. I think he might have aged rather beautifully had nature been left to take it's course, but it's his face, not mine, and I know it's not my business.

I've knocked three songs into shape and now I'm sick of them already. This also happens when I cook: I've gone off the idea of what I've made by the time I've finished. It happens with knitting. I often give away the jumpers that I've made, sometimes taking months to create them but then... I know every stitch too well. I'm bored. How silly. I need to be more patient.

I've had an Instagram conversation with Johnny Hanna about Harry Lauder (Roamin' in the Gloamin') and Ivor Cutler (The Fairy dressed in black and blue). I've nicked a photo of a 1940 Eric Ravilious drawing of a Bomb Defusing Kit (oh, how badly we all need this!).

I've read all the old back-copies of the newspapers that were piled on the floor, and thrown them in the recycling bin. 

I've finished a thriller that was so gory that I hated it, and rather than sending it back to the charity shop from whence it came as I normally do, I threw that in the recycling too, as a punishment.

All this just not to nod off in front of Minder and The Sweeney. Small busyings, when there are much more serious things to do that my poor wee brain would mess up if I did it with today's tired head. They can wait until tomorrow.



1 comment:

Wilky of St Albans said...

it is january. Take the month off. No one will judge you, only you