Monday, April 10, 2023

The Salvation Army Annexe, Canterbury

I've just realised that I didn't write anything about this gig. Everything was very busy and unfamiliar the week before, and again the week after, but the night deserves a write-up, no matter how tardy.

At the beginning of the year, I had resolved to play only higher profile gigs, and less of them, to up my profile and professionalism. Then Rob Halcrow contacted me about the Salvation Army Annexe ('holds a maximum of 15 people') and my resolve melted away, to be replaced by curiosity and the sheer charm of the idea. Plus, I'd never seen Picturebox play and they'd be playing as well. No question of it!

It really is a titchy venue, down a back lane and with a stubborn 'Closed' sign on the door. Tea and biscuits were being served, and there were little dishes with sweets on the tables. We sound-checked and chatted; a few people showed up, including Lee Edgington who had come all the way from Dover.

Picturbox were great. They are strongly influenced by kid's TV themes, and are excellent musicians. We all really enjoyed them a lot. Here they are in full flow, performing a song with my favourite lyrics:



Here's my bit. I hope to go back again later in the year. Big thanks to Robert for the invitation!




No comments: