Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Unititled

It's hard to think of a title for this post. For some unfathomable reason, I felt a bit down yesterday. There are lots of good, good things happening and I'm a glass half full person most of the time. It might have been the insidious misogyny in a piece of work I had marked that afternoon (I'm marking for several universities at the moment so it's not a betrayal of confidence). Irrational hatred is impossible to process. Or it could have been the weather, or delayed pandemic-shock. The evening just had dark edges around it like a mourning-stamp.

Anyway, this morning I woke to a message from an ex-colleague who I have always valued a lot. They were telling me of an exciting career move they were making, and for a start I felt both touched that they contacted me to let me know, and thrilled that they are going to work for such a great employer. But we then went on to have a concise and mutually supportive conversation that at first made my eyes well with tears, but now has left me with what can only be described as a warmed heart.

Our friendship from afar has made me feel it's OK to act on principles, and also that sometimes a moment's conversation can change the course of your mood quite significantly. The world is not all bad people- it's just that they have loud voices and too much power. We must never stop opposing them!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning or mourning? (5th or 6th Line)

A Barnet UDC Council Worker said...

"a good life with a bad apple" (where is that park bench)

Anonymous said...

Who was that 'Ex-Colleague' who rang you an ex band member perhaps

AN ALCOHOLIC'S ANONYMOUS MEMBER said...

"I'm a glass half full person" from 1 alcoholic to another!

a fan said...

When's the next gig?