Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Recording

Last Friday I got a call from Gina, who has been recording an album in Wandsworth co-produced by her with Youth (of Killing Joke fame). Could I go over and replicate some backing vocals that I'd recorded on one of her songs a few years ago?

I happened to be dropping off Offsprog One just around the corner (she has been staying with me since the beginning of February), and despite two separate Satnavs sending me in different directions before finally singing in unison, I managed to get there. It's one of my favourite Gina-songs, and the melodies came back to mind instantly- well, almost instantly. Fuelled by tea and time constraints, they were done fairly quickly and I also played a bit of fuzz guitar (so unlike me!) and I headed back north with a spring in my car.

I can't wait to hear these songs. Her album has been a long time in the making, but the songs are really strong and memorable. Hooray!

After a day of online tutorials yesterday, I was absolutely bursting to do some work on my own album. I decided to re-record a song I'd done at Ian Button's a couple of years ago that I think I played too fast. Even today, my instinct was to rush through it and it took a while to get into the groove, man. But I've got my singing voice back and I'm sure my mixing ears will follow on shortly. I need a good clear two days to do good vocals on the remaining songs and I may have to wait until after next week, because I'm heading to Glasgow and Westhoughton for gigs and visits. I have thirteen songs recorded now, at every stage from solid demo to finished. I just need time!

No comments: