Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Squeezing Time

Yesterday was a good day. Sleepy morning students converted a Shakespeare sonnet into 'now' English by rummaging through a dogeared Thesaurus. Later, Mikey Georgeson (AKA David Devant and his Spirit Wife) showed up and charmed the songwriters, getting them to sing along to a song which he played on a handy uke. He told us about his first drawings at Art College: plumbing supplies. His lecturers complained so he made it into into a catalogue song, Work, Lovelife, Miscellaneous. It's always lovely when songwriters play their songs on guitar and then show a video of the fancy version. The students can see the nuts and bolts of the thing. Stuart Moxham did this last year; he did a fantastic talk and the students loved him. Katy Carr came the year before and did the same thing. I love my job, sometimes.
Newt week I'm going to talk to Mikey's illustration students in exchange.
Later, Karina Townsend and me squeezed into an edit suite, and recorded the tenor sax parts for two of my new songs. There was a short break to listen to a neo-soul track that three students were writing in the next door room, and then I came away with some fab music on the memory stick.
I can't wait for Wednesday!
I've got Gillian Wood's cello parts and also the stems of the version of Saturday Night With The London Set with Vic Godard, Dave Morgan and the amazing Ruth Tidmarsh playing on it, to mix to match the rest of the songs on the album.
Work this avo avo avocado.....




No comments: