Friday, January 21, 2011

A Sweet Gig

The man at Costa Coffee sent me the wrong direction down Westminster Bridge Road, then the security guard at the building sent me up to the third floor instead of the first floor after taking ages to open the front door anyway, but all was well in the end.
Acton Bell was sitting in a room full of coats and we ran through the Herman's Hermit's song that she'd asked me to do backing vocals on, and when she found out that I'd had a crush on Freddy Garrity from Freddy and the Dreamers when I was about six, we learned You Were Made For Me.
I told her that he seemed like the ideal adult, to a child: just like a child (all silly), but grown up.

The room was small and cosy, with a cake and wine stall and couples sitting around at tables ready to be entertained. She went on first, followed by Kat, who has a lovely voice and who sang a song by Paul Weller infinitely better than he does it (not keen on his aggressive pained vocals).
The Kitchenette Four, a three-woman Barbershop trio, were great too, especially their first number, the Suffragette song from Mary Poppins. I liked their casual style; Barbershop can be scarily tight-arsed but they carried off their harmonies with relaxed aplomb.
I sang Let's Make Up, that old Chefs chestnut, plus a selection of oldies including Temptation, and a newie, a song that is quite rocky for me.
Two of the acts had pulled out (shame!) so Acton Bell went on and did another Merseybeat set. Her guitar skills have improved noticeably and she told me she's been going to a local working Mens' Club in Tottenham on Saturday afternoon for lessons.
The collection box looked satisfyingly full. We went into the library to have our picture taken, one by one, and to answer the questions 'Why is music important to women'.
Luckily, I found my way out of the building and back to the tube station OK.

The picture shows Acton Bell. Kat had a label tied to the headstock of her guitar. I didn't ask her what was on it: it wasn't a set list, anyway.

No comments: