Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Treading Water

Tough week; the Chefs album has been shelved, due to copyright issues. What a disappointment!
I've also ended up running Song Club on my own after being let down by both of the students who should have been involved. I can't believe it, but I realise my mistake was to employ students and not ex-students as I used to. The children are great though and adore silent head-and-shoulders (the knees and toes one, not the shampoo). You should try it sometime, it rocks, especially when you start taking bits away.
I spent early morning doing a rapid Garageband emergency recording of their song, with harmonies, so their music teacher can take over tomorrow.
I found a good review of The Lost Women of Rock Music in a pop music academic journal that's just come out more than a year after the book came out, but better late than never. It's particularly interesting because the Typical Girls discussion group is absolutely bubbling with stuff about the Slits, some of which made me so fed up I almost unsubscribed: people were making wish-lists of different line-ups, completely ignoring the fact that Anna and Dr No (who I know) and Adele have done a fantastic job of being as Ari says, 'new blood' and have helped to get the band going again. However, the discussion calmed down and became more interesting, talking about the idea of not being able to play and what the band actually sounded like way back then, and how they evolved musically. Meanwhile it seems their management or publicists or whoever are so rubbish that the gig they had planned in London has been cancelled because nobody knew about it and nobody bought tickets. It must be damnably frustrating to be in such a band, wanting to play and wanting to record, and having those things made impossible for you to go forward with.
Meanwhile the DJay Buddha has done a great mix of Rockin' Girl. Should be interesting to hear Joe's mix too! I'm still running on energy from that weekend, actually.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

for some reason I started singing Thrush during a rude scene in the devils whore earlier. Probably the "I was just a bunk up.." line. Now I find the Chefs album is shelved. Stranger this on this world etc etc

Only anon cos I can't get the hang of this identity lark

Helen McCookerybook said...

You can always just sign your name at the bottom of the mail, anon!
Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous said...

Like this....

alanw

and I'm trying desperately to get to a gig as you might say (but I doubt it) "hey, you look like a more portly, grey haired version of a bloke that used to come and see us play at the Moonlight Club". Was it really that long ago?

cheers
alanw