Monday, August 28, 2023

Southwick on Saturday and Wreckless Eric in Clerkenwell

It was a long, long drive to Southwick in Sussex. Being a train strike day (and I support the rail workers 100%) and a Bank Holiday, everyone was in their cars: one long, slow-moving traffic jam all around the London Orbital. It took three hours to get there. The strike had affected the ticket sales quite a lot, but I was still happy with the audience for my set (I think Attila had been out and collected them from the garden!). They were lusty-voiced for the Bathing Pond song and later, for The Sea. The afternoon had started off with local 3-piece band The Piece, followed by Lee Pryor, apparently the lead singer of Britain's primary Led Zeppelin covers band. He was accompanied by a wild rhythm man on cahon. Attila told me he'd been told not to play Led Zep covers, but to play his own original songs. They were bluesy and well-arranged and I was secretly glad that the looping pedal had refused to work (perhaps in sympathy with the rail workers) because there was plenty going on anyway. Joy of the afternoon- Sally turned up, who used to be our live sound engineer in Helen and the Horns. It was a lovely surprise and we sat in the sun and talked for a while. Later, we were to miss The Men They Couldn't Hang, which was a shame because I shared at least one bill with them back in the day.

You know what, it was a really enjoyable afternoon. Attila asked me to play for an hour and I was a bit concerned because most of my gigs are 30-40 minutes long, but it was nice to have the time to kind of 'unfold' over a longer period of time. Also, after such a long drive, it felt worth it! Big luv to Attila for appreciating my music and inviting me to fill a gap after another band pulled out. The whole afternoon was a nice surprise, and it took a lot less time to drive back afterwards.

Yesterday afternoon, Wreckless Eric was playing (along with a lot of other artists) at the Clerkenwell Festival. Last year it was Slady. Someone has a great idea of programming for the glamorous 50-something crowd who turn up for the beer and the vintage stalls. The crowd was impeccably attired in their Sunday Best and very enthusiastic. Debsey and Paul from Birdie were there, Ian Button too; Micko Melletronic, Mike Slocombe in tartan and a bowler hat, Fifi Russell, Chris Plummer, Gaye Black and Eric, Spizz, Ian Damaged and Alison Wonderland, and of course Amy Rigby. Circling, wandering, eating ice cream and finally enjoying Eric's humour and his songs, it was a lovely lazy sunny afternoon. I particularly liked the Dachsund who gently howled along, accompanying Eric's singing at a low volume appropriate for its leg-length.

And by jove, my own new songs have suddenly started appearing. They also have been on strike, but here they are, bustling through my head as I'm driving or trying to sleep. About time, too.



No comments: