Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Rebellion Festival (Part Two)

After all the dashing around, I wanted to just sit and listen, so I went to the Literary Stage to Robert Lloyd's interview with John Robb. 

I was really sorry to miss their gig on the Sunday night, but according to Attila the Stockbroker, it was incredible. I have to see them next time they are in London.

Last thing I saw was half of the Only Ones set. They were amazing. The sound was absolutely perfect, they were well-rehearsed, and I wished I could have seen the whole thing but I was really daunted by the thought of walking back to the hotel alone through the clouds of pissheads on Saturday night in Blackpool! What a pity to miss such great song writing. I would have loved to hear Lovers of Today played live.

Getting back to Old Smokey was a bit of a nightmare because of the industrial action. Don't the train companies realise that they need to settle this? It's not the workers we blame, it's the companies, for trying to run a rail service on a shoestring. I got home more than an hour late.

Next day was my brother James's birthday and I went to see him and sit in the garden quietly with a cup of tea. Bliss after all the travelling.

Then last night, I had a solo gig at the Hope and Anchor. Offsprog One and her friend came, and we were offered miniature drinks by a very friendly woman who came downstairs to watch Jack Hayter's set with us- which was really great, actually: sort of country blues. After that there were two Beefheart-influenced bands and then me, using every last scrap of energy and a voice worn out from yakking to everyone. I even managed to get an encore! Photo by Jack.

I hope to see Stephen Wood's band Trees and the Slipway again soon (he was the organiser alongside Simon Bromide and Spinmaster Plantpot, who unfortunately was ill). Amazing that Bilkis showed up, who I haven't seen for years, and one of the trio of Dutch men who came to the Helen and the Horns in Amsterdam 40 years ago! Blimey! It wasn't an overpopulated gig but what it lost in quantity it more than made up for in quality. Debsey and Paul from Birdie? I'll take that! 



No comments: