Friday, December 16, 2022

The Glad Café

This is nicked from my own Facebook page. I still can't believe that I got there! It was a wonderful night- big thanks to the Glad Café, to Howie and to the people who came out to see the gig. You were just great! This was my journey. I'm whacked out today, resting in Edinburgh and hoping to get home on Sunday. It was so worth the journey, though. 

And thank you Kenji and Till for your kind hospitality too xxx

'Experience sent me to Newcastle Central Station two hours earlier than my scheduled train. Sure enough, it was cancelled and I got on an earlier one. Twenty miles south of Edinburgh we were told that the power lines had become damaged, and we were going back to Berwick and from there, to London King’s Cross.Then they told us that they'd make a stop at Dunbar, so people going to Edinburgh could catch a bus into town. Well of course the entire train decided to do that, and the queue for the single decker service was massive.

I already knew buses won’t take guitars, so returned to the station where the ticket guy was busy telling a group of tourists that they had got off the train voluntarily so they wouldn't help them.

Luckily, I’m still in possession of my 'Mum' voice and told the station staff they were mistaken.
Eventually they organised a bus and told us to wait in the station
What about all those people waiting with their suitcases at the bus stop up the road? Shouldn’t they go to tell them?
He tried to ignore that, but eventually went up there, because he kind of had to.
They had gone.
The replacement bus had picked them all up from the bus stop and taken them to Edinburgh!
So we waited for ANOTHER replacement bus, and here I am in Edinburgh Haymarket, having been advised to get off the Glasgow train that I was on because it’s a slow one!'
I think the (darkly) funniest thing was a woman traveller coming in to the ticket office and enquiring perfectly innocently at the ticket window if there were any trains. The guy stared at her for ages, stressed beyond belief 'Trains?????'. Ha ha and oh dear, in equal measures!

Below, Kenji's photos of the gig and of the merch queue afterwards.



No comments: