Friday, September 30, 2022

Song Review from @Trustthedoc Blog

'I must admit to being pleasantly surprised to receive a track by Helen McCookerybook in my Fresh on the Net in-box. Helen was the bassist and singer with Brighton Post-Punk band The Chefs whose 24 Hours was a big favourite of mine in my teenage years. She then went on to front the unique Helen and the Horns (whose trombonist Dave Jago was later my trombonist in MSQ). I met Helen when she played a gig for my good friend Richard Sanderson’s Linear Obsessional gig at the Arts Cafe in Lewisham. She teaches these days. That afternoon she managed the unlikely feat of persuading the rather dignified and heavily academic crowd at Linear Ob to sing along with her song about a bathing pool, one of those memories that will stay with me forever. Anyway, her set that day was made up of lovingly crafted, slightly whimsical Acoustic Pop that sat somewhere between the minimalist charm of The Marine Girls and something more folky but jazz-inflected. So it is with Beach Walk. Picking guitar keeps the backdrop simple and organic but also skillfully executed while a three [or could be four] part harmony on the words ‘Beach Walk’ lift a catchy chorus and plant it firmly inside my head for the duration and aftermath of the song. Proof that, when you are an inherently talented songwriter with an engaging voice, you don’t need all the bells and whistles to produce a fine pop tune.'

No comments: