Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Joby and the Hooligans' Very First Gig

Pinched from DJ Gremlins' Facebook page, I think this may have been the very first Joby and the Hooligans gig, the very first time I played bass on stage.
This was Joby Jackson, Steve Beardsley, Nick Dwyer and me. We borrowed Punktuation's drummer, who was 14 at the time, and I borrowed a bass guitar from Bella Donna, Poison Girls' bass player, that had belonged to The Buzzcocks. She was Mancunian, and they were friends.
We had written a set in three days, mostly using tabloid newspaper stories, in order to shame The Molesters who had bottled out of the gig. I was told I could play bass in the band, because I was in the room at the time.
Much to our astonishment, we got asked to play another gig after this one. And another... and another.... und so weiter!

No comments: