Saturday, November 25, 2017

Craptop

Yes.
On Wednesday I updated to the new fancy operating system which has obliterated four years of Notes, including stuff for my next book, details of venues across the UK, and most awfully, info from a two-hour work meeting on Tuesday night.
I don't send stuff to the Cloud because it is not a fluffy innocent wet-weather feature, but  a gigantic computer in Switzerland or somewhere that belongs to people who I don't know. So after a little private gig last night I sat for more than an hour pasting code into Terminal to try to retrieve the lost data, all to no avail. I would scream and panic, but what's the point?
All sorts of other stuff was happening yesterday including knock-on effects of the Oxford Street incident, and I'm glad it's today, today.
Tomorrow my brain might be working enough to remember most of what we said at the meeting, and write it down with a pen on a piece of paper, and if it gets lost it will be my responsibility and not Apple's.
Then I have a nice early evening gig in the Horseshoe in Clerkenwell at 6.00 p.m. at a folk evening, which will be a nice gentle end to the weekend. I'm supporting Alden, Patterson and Dashwood, and entry is by donation.
Tonight? Tea and TV, which I haven't watched for centuries. Anyone know what's on?

No comments: