Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hat

Painstakingly, I cut and fitted sections of soft black leather to my head, taking days to sew the shapes together to make a hat that fitted tightly over my hair.
On holiday in Scotland that year, I sought out two cow horns, which I sawed and polished to a fine shine.
I was making a horned helmet, like a female viking might wear. Every 34-year-old woman needs one of those, or so I thought.
I was excitedly telling one of my best friends about it; it was almost finished.
Her big and drunken husband was listening in.
'That's a bloody stupid idea',  he sneered. 'When ya gonna wear that? Everyone will laugh at ya.'
I hadn't even thought about that.
So it never got finished, and never got worn.
But Gina has invited me to do a song when the Gluts play at Cafe Oto in March, and I think the leather hat (alas, the horns were thrown out when I moved) is in the boot of my car with the screen was and the Just William story cassettes.
Gonna wear it then innit?

2 comments:

frayedattheedge said...

Ok - I can't think of anything to say to that story!!
One of today's words is sundai - two possible meanings - Sunday in Wales, or a Welsh icecream .....

Helen McCookerybook said...

Ha ha! That's almost as awful as one of my jokes!
x

Comandi: the useful instruction