Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Horses and Rock'n'Roll

I tried to have a quiet night just sitting in a chair last night, but firstly the verses for a song called 'I'm Gonna Steal You Away' flooded into my head, then the 'Shut up I'm Singing' song, and then the One-Note Rock'n'Roll, which is a reply to the One-Note Samba:

The One-note Samba hits the spot but this is Rock'n'Roll
The sound of Jazz is hot man, hot, and Classical is cold
I tried to find a Reggae groove, I tried to find my Soul
But the only kind of sound I found
Was the One-Note Rock'n'Roll

Now I have to learn how to play a fiddly guitar bit for a solo.
That's my task this week.
I am also going to email the Vintage Clothing people and ask if I can play at their event in Barnet in October!

As I walked down the road to get my umbrella (the one that's already been left in Notting Hill and Caroline Coon returned it with umbrella-ella-ella on the envelope), I heard Virgin Radio blaring from the building site, talking about their Daniel Takes a Train competition. I slept through the last vote because I forgot to set my alarm but I'll make sure I do it this Friday so Paul Davey can get on stage with Eric Clapton.
I don't like Eric Clapton much because of his Enoch phase back in the 1970s, but we can thank him and David Bowie for Rock Against Racism and I suppose he did alert everyone to 'I Shot the Sheriff' and from that, to Bob Marley and the Wailers. I remember the first time I heard them on John Peel: I was knocked out by the fantastic ghostly sound, the pain in the melody and the strength of the rhythm section. They were a fantastic band, absolutely fantastic.

Here's Paul Davey's Eric joke, to round the posting off nicely.

A White Horse walks into a bar and orders a whiskey.
'That's funny', says the barman, 'We've got a whiskey named after you'.
'What- Eric?', asks the horse.

1 comment:

SHAKA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.