Thursday, April 17, 2008

Jackie's Book

I have three foster cousins, and one of them, Jackie Walker, has just published a book called 'Pilgrim State' about her life with her mum in Deptford. There were articles about her book in the Guardian and in the Observer, and her story made me want to cry.
They are the most incredible family- talented and resourceful and very wise. The oldest boy was a total inspiration to me and Big Bruv when we were kids, cos not only could he balance a chair on one finger, but he also told us how to do it! He loved the Beatles and hated those black vocal groups that dressed in identical frilly clothes and did formation dancing. When we went to Tynemouth Ice Rink, he leapt on to the ice and was skating on one leg in seconds, although he'd never skated before in his life.
Jackie was also really exciting- a couple of years older than me, glamorous and from London, the Big City. It was a real thrill that she would sit and chat to me about her life- I was a total hicklet back in them thar days, and she was quite hippyish and very sophisticated.
There were three siblings in the UK and Jackie and her little brother spent time in childrens homes after their mum moved to London from Jamaica; their older brother travelled miles to see them each week until eventually my uncle and auntie fostered the whole family (my uncle was the Head at the older brother's school).
Every so often we have a gigantic family party, usually for Little Bruv's birthday, in Greenwich Park, and we all bring food and tubs of hummus for wasps to drown in. The foster cousins usually come, but not Jackie for a while- probably because she has been writing.
I hope she comes along this year.

I have been writing to Tony Hepworth, who was trumpet player with the Helen and the Horns on our last tour and who played on the studio side of the Helen and the Horns Etc album. We think we might get together to do a gig. I suppose it's a case of finding somewhere to play and someone who wants to put us on! I hadn't heard from him for ages and its amazing to be in touch again.
I have also written to Peterjon Skelt of Near Shore Records because Rough Trade has run out of the Helen and the Horns Etc CD and I haven't got any left- last time I saw him he had some boxes stacked in his hallway. I hope he hasn't sold them for drinks coasters or something, because Rough Trade does a good turnover of them, and I am hoping he will not only re-stock their supplies but also collect the money they owe him!
I do have some boxes of the vinyl version in the loft which I might ask them if they want- I hope to be moving house soon and it would be good to offload them.
I have also written to Carl about the Chefs CD (ain't I a busy bee?)
... and finally. I'm going to collect the master of the new one from Tom tomorrow morning!

No comments: