Saturday, June 24, 2006

Elephant and Castle

Yesterday evening I did a lovely thing- I went on an audio tour of the Elephant and Castle that Ben Cummins put together for Architecture Week. My cousin-once-removed came too which was a bloody good job as it hadn't even occurred to me to download the tour from the internet and I had to borrow one of his ear things to listen to it- perish the thought of having to mime the whole thing, especially since Ben had included a story I told him about the pigeon getting into Gregg's Bakers window and stamping on the pink cakes- and he had someone with a trayful of the horrid things for people to eat when they got there! Very funny! But I would have had to walk round with my headphones on, copying everyone's expressions and pretending I knew what was going on, so thank you, cousin-once-removed, if you read this.
We all climbed to the top of the tallest block in the Heygate Estate, and on the way down you could smell a different dinner cooking on every floor. It was fascinating- going through the Rockingham Estate, where I used to be a Youth Worker, being not only a tourist but also an object of derision (elderly ladies on balconies nudging each other as the middle class trooped through with their iPods) and walking through Trinity Square that I never knew was there, where the Philharmonia practice, and somebody from the Philharmonia has a rather swanky Harley Davidson. Blissful evening.
Today, Jamie's coming round to teach me to scream. Then I will re-record some of the vocals on the songs for the CD.
I discovered recently that I'm not too old to be a fireman. It is something that I have always wanted to do, and I got really excited and was just about to send off for an application form, when it was pointed out to me that I might have to carry a Very Big Fat Man out of a burning building, and I am probably too skinny and weak to do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I used to live in a square round the corner from Trinity Square when I was a kid. I even remember the elephant before it became a Pink Elephant. ;)