Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Bull fiddle case


Played the Brighton Ladyfest on Sunday- I've always wanted to do one, and was very flattered to be asked. Sally (who was the H and H sound engineer) played cello and we went on after someone who didn't seem terribly female.... It was good fun anyway, saw my first female-led hardcore band, there were three ukeleles and a trombone in the dressing room and I put on huge quantities of blue mascara to celebrate.
I found this picture of a double bass case being put to use in the Peter Hunt's how-to-do-it book. Reminds me of when the friends I shared a house with in Willesden bought ne a violin for my birthday. I couldn't play it. There were about 9 cats in that house and they all came and put their paws on me to shut me up- although I did do a gig in Victoria with Dr Devito about 2 days later and there's a bootleg recording on which you can only really hear the violin! Lester Square had borrowed the choir's uniform from his dad's church (he was the vicar of Fulham) and Bid read from the Bible while we all played along. Anyway, I went to Portobello market to buy a violin case. The one I bought had a brass handle on the top and someone told me it looked like a baby's coffin so I sat on the step and painted it with white emulsion. The problem was, when I opened it to do the inside, all the woodworm had surfaced to get away from the paint fumes and the case was crawling with horrible little wriggly things and I had to throw it in the bin. I wonder if the same thing happened to Peter Hunt?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see one of those old bass coffins being put to good use! Too cool... :D