Friday, July 03, 2009

News Book

I had a nice night at the Icarus Club in Hither Green last night- there is a good PA, a listening audience and a very dedicated promoter there, Andy. All this overrides the fact that it is the world's ugliest pub; it has a loyal audience who even came out in last night's sweltering heat. To ice the cake, Claudine MArtinet Riley came, who used to be my manager. It must be 15 years since we've seen each other- she used to manage Terence Trent D'Arby and did press for the Stray Cats. the Associates, Depeche Mode (or Depressed Mood as she called them), Siouxsie and the BAnshees and lots of other cool bands. She was looking great and still has the same impish sense of humour and big heart. I was chuffed to bits that she came.
Musically, I enjoyed Eddie John's set the best. He is a really good songwriter and I spent the evening wondering whether his guitar playing ought to be a bit simpler, and in the end decided that it shouldn't. Or maybe it should? I don't know, sometimes ears need breathing space.
And I'm enjoying listening to Lorna Broooks's CD, which I picked up in Edinburgh last week. What a voice3! Power without abrasion, and I wish I could work out her chords!
There's a version of Heaven Avenue with Martin on youtube, if you search 'Friar's Carse'. It's very different to the Lester Square version!
Finally, Gina and myself are playing at Barden's Boudoir in Stoke Newington, a gig organised by Robert Lloyd of the Nightingales, to promote Christy and Emily, a wonderful duo from New York. They are ABSOULTELY brilliant so do come along if you can!

No comments: