Sunday, May 21, 2006

I was a birthday present

A few weeks ago, someone emailed me and asked me if I would come to play at a birthday party for her husband, because on the front page of my website it says I will 'play a gig near you'. At first, I thought it might be a hoax, because normally, only Mick Jagger and Rod Stewart do that sort of thing- playing for billionaire businessmen on their yachts and things like that... but it was real,and that is what I did last night. Paul Davey came along to play sax, and we set up in the living room and played some songs for the Birthday Chap. It was lovely because we were a surprise- his wife told him that she hadn't managed to get tickets for a gig so she had brought the show to him instead, and he though it was a windup until we walked in. He says he will live to be a hundred, and I think it is probably worth it, with a wife like that. Happy Birthday,Birthday Chap,it was a pleasure to play for you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Birthday Chap here......

You can keep your Rods and your Micks. Even if I had a yacht I would still take Helen and One Horn over either of those two has-beens.
It was the most staggering surprise and I will no doubt still be telling people about it when I do hit 100.

Thak you so much for agreeing to do the gig and thanks to my wife. I had no idea she could be so devious!

Oh, and the music was brilliant too!

Anonymous said...

Devious Wife here....

Helen and 'One Horn', plus 2 others - Thank You all so much for making such a wonderful surprise for the Birthday Chap. Never have I seen his flabber quite so ghasted!!! Nice to know that I can still surprise him from time to time. Only one problem - what to do next?

Anonymous said...

The Birthday Chap is my oldest friend and he has been a fan of yours for a long time - actually so have I. It was magical seeing you perform; I enjoyed it almost as much as he did! The following day he was still dazed and amazed by it all. As far as birthday presents go you have to be the most memorable! Thankyou for making my friend so very happy.

Graham