Sunday, May 28, 2006

Deodorant

A very famous and funky academic attended a conference I helped to organise. I have a problem with gravitas because I don't look very intelligent, so often people ask me very mundane things at conferences, that they think my little brain can cope with. This chap strode up to me and asked if I knew where he could find a pharmacist. Of course I told him, but it did cross my mind to wonder what it was he wanted. Always trying to be helpful, I offered him painkillers as I always have a supply of those with me. He turned them down.
Later, I left the conference as I wasn't feeling well. He was coming down the street and had obviously been fretting about my speculations about what he might have been buying at a chemist's shop.
"DEODORANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", he bellowed to me across the street, maximum volume, to the alarm of a huge crowd of tourists on Marylebone Road, who jumped out of their skins in fright.

No comments: