Friday, September 04, 2026

Work On The House, Work On The Album

Downstairs, the kitchen and bathroom floors are being replaced; upstairs I'm working, editing the songs and working on the artwork for the cover. Hours go past. A friend kindly pointed out that I'd omitted the little first 'c' of McCookerybook in the artwork. When I'd coloured it, I'd been concentrating so hard I'd gone over the faint guidelines I'd written, so luckily there was enough space to fix it.

I tried to play the nylon strung guitar last night but the fingers still said no- quite indignantly, actually. They can have another couple of days- then that's it guys, OK?

The kitchen will sound different with a different floor but I'm quite looking forward to setting up the mic next week to see what transpires.

Meanwhile, audio contributions are gradually being sent in. Today's was so good it sent shivers up my spine. Regardless of the music, songs, production, and all that there is something about this project that feels exactly right emotionally. I'm not trying to write great songs: the songs have written themselves. It's their fault if they're crap!  And for all I feel sad for the label Tiny Global ceasing to trade (how mortifying to give up such a worthy and eclectic company), because there is nothing but space ahead of me, no route, no railway track, I'm making wild decisions and sticking with them. I'm not thinking about who might play it, who might buy it, or who might review it. It's a bunch of dammed up stories and feelings that are bursting to be expressed and can not be contained. 

I almost forgot to post about the book launch on Tuesday at The Boogaloo in Highgate. Travis Elborough has written a small but perfectly-formed tome on the Philosophy of Vinyl (published by the British Library), and although I am exhausted by listening to the builder work so hard downstairs, I couldn't resist the short tube ride to the occasion. Richard Boon was there, as was Daniel Rachel, Cathi Unsworth, Paul Kelly, various journalists including Helen Barrett (just finishing a book on the Beatles). I believe I saw Emma Tricca in the distance too. 

Travis signed a book, taking a break from deejaying in order to do so. It was fun to be there especially since I'm confined to home in the daytimes. 

Anyway, that's it for now. Back to arting and musicking!

No comments: