Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Delivering the Portraits

After collecting the final portraits from Hackney, I took a bag of framed prints out with me. One for the motorcycle repair guy, who seemed pleased. One for the vegetable stall guy, whose boss was really miffed. 'Where's mine? When can I have mine done?'. 'Next time', I said.

One for the fish shop men: only one of them was there at first and the other man in the shop pretended it was him that I'd drawn, but someone sent for the genuine guy down the street, and he showed up. They were really pleased.

The fruit stall woman wasn't there, and the barista had left her job, but the guy in the coffee shop knows her, and took her picture to give to her.

The natas seller wasn't around either.

Next, the ambulance station, all the way down a long road. A guest ambulance man ('I don't work at this station'), took me through to the office to meet the station manager. He recognised one of the women and said what a nice idea it was. 'This doesn't usually happen', he said.

Phew.

Tomorrow morning, on the way to the Gallery, I'll deliver the Earl's Court end ones.

I'll be in the Gallery, 26 Lillie Road (diagonally opposite West Brompton tube/overground), between 12 and 5 tomorrow. Lovely to see you, Jerry and Billy, and Gaye and Eric, Alba and Halim, Asama and Mehdi, and Annie and more. The visitor's comment tablecloth has plenty of signatures. It was an unexpectedly social day, and I drew merely one line of the next drawing.



No comments: