Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Slide Rule

Things don't always work out the way you intend them to. I was disappointed not to be able to go to Berlin to see Martin and Gemma play, and perhaps play a few songs too. But there was three line whip at work; we had an open day and we had to be there.
To compensate, I treated myself to a ticket to see Mahogonny at the Royal Opera House. I'd never been there and it was something to get excited about; I love Brecht and Weill. But two days beforehand I discovered that I'd bought a ticket for the matinee performance. What a fool. So I returned it and thankfully got my money back.
The open day was great. I felt proud of my colleagues and the prospective students seemed to really enjoy it.
On the way home, tired and facing an evening with Inspector Montalbano, I strolled into the bakers to buy a loaf of bread.
The shop assistant was in a good mood. Would you like a bag of rolls for free? Yes please!
What you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts (is that right?). Or what you lose at the opera you gain at the bakers. Almost.

1 comment:

A Fan said...

When is your next London gig?