Monday, July 04, 2011

Bins of the 'Burbs: Outreach, the Daily Mail

Here in the Conservative outer London Borough of Barnet, even our street cleaners have snobby tastes in reading; witness the Daily Mail peeking out of this cleaner's pocket. I wonder if the Mail would approve of this chap's readership, or whether they would regard him as beneath them?
He is a treasure, this man, out in all weathers, and I can report that the contents of the bins of the 'burbs is every bit as smelly as that of the supposedly more grimy inner London areas!

1 comment:

Jeff Bless said...

This man is a hero. He has been cleaning Barnet's streets for over 30 years, man and boy.

I don't know his name, but I believe he is locally referred to a 'Bimma'.

You can see him cycling up the hill from New Barnet each morning on his bike, which people say he calls 'Old Faithful'. It looks about 50 years old, and very heavy!

He's a really nice guy. Always chatting to people as they pass. I want to submit him for some kind of local award, but I don't know if there are any. He deserves one though.