Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Serious Moan About Myspace

When I first started using Myspace Music about four years ago, it was user-friendly for artists like myself, not fiendishly ambitious, but wanting to tell people about gigs and releases in a simple and direct way.
It has now become increasingly corporate- six games which I haven't asked for have been put on my site, 'friends' are accepted without me checking them out, it is assumed that I want to post from twitter to market myself, the song counter is totally erratic (one play one, day, three hundred the next), and what is prompting this rant is my attempt to upload a gig I have next week, and the fact that I can't do it unless I'm selling tickets online! It has also lost the records of all the gigs I have done since being on Myspace- or lost the location of them so I can't find them.
Signed artists who employ people to market them on social networking sites probably don't give a stuff about this, but I do.
I manage my own self, promote my own self, and need something quick and easy to let people know what I am doing.
Strangely enough, I have no desire to spend hours and hours interfacing with my computer and trillions of social networking sites to make me and my music ubiquitous.
Funnily enough, I would rather be writing, recording and performing my songs.
Am I the only Myspace user to feel like this or does everyone else want games, widgets, blogs, and all those Facebookbebolinkedinsoundcloudcdbaby things?
O for a simple life!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, rant over. Now tell us where the gig is next week

A small overlooked detail

W of you know where

Helen McCookerybook said...

It's at the Perseverance!

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I do love a good rant!! I enjoy doing my blog (and reading other peoples), but I'm not into Facebook, Twitter, whatever, but Typepad are always adding yet more ways to link into all these things

ps, there haven't been any decent verification words recently!!

Helen McCookerybook said...

Ah, you have to make them up then Anne! x