Thursday, September 04, 2008

Hamsterpig

Last night's gig was a sweetie: Richard Lobb (Katy met him at a song writing week at Bath Spa) started the evening off (Charlotte Grieg and Sharon Lewis pulled out cos it wasn't a paying gig and they had far to travel); he's a bit like Jack Johnson in style but has a way with little guitar runs that follow the melody he's singing that is quite distinctive. He runs a song writer's night in Bounds Green which I will find out about and tell you.
Then came Katy Carr, solo this time, singing mainly old stuff at the piano. She looked absolutely great and was in fine voice- her voice is developing all sorts of interesting timbres, possibly through having new material to sing. I played five songs- Bad Day, Heaven Avenue, Love on the Wind, Temptation and Memento Mori. I had a sore throat but it was a nice night and it didn't matter somehow. I had dressed up all rockabilly for the occasion.
The evening finished with Bromide, whose talents include being able to mimic birds, and a cat stalking them, perfectly. It turned out that one of the promoters was rather good at doing 'Donald Duck Says Hello', so the evening ended on a Disney note.
Katy came to stay, and we got lost on the way home because of our yakking. Today... well the sore throat kicked in and I sat looking sorrowfully at the workload I can't plough through. I've just made a raspberry, nectarine, orange and banana smoothie so I know the bad throat will have cleared up by tomorrow

Last week, there was a HUGE spider in the kitchen. I put it outside, but it was back when Jane came round last Monday to make music (oh yes! The punk bingo song is going to feature on its own, but I'll tell you about that another time). Then on Friday morning last week, I found it on my head in the bathroom! aaargh! It fell into the sink with a crash and tumbled over the edge and ran away when I tried to catch it. Then ot appeared again in the front room before finally popping up in the kitchen last night again. Katy caught it and put it over the neighbour's fence, but I bet it comes back, because I suspect it's a homing spider with ideas about being a pet, a bit like a hamster. I am going to call it hamsterpig, inspired by the Simpsons.

No comments: