Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Whooshing through Wednesday

Calm, calm, calm... calm,calm,calm...
The cattery called last night.
'Where are your cats?', they asked.'We've had a power cut and want to go out for something to eat'.
DRAT!!
I had forgotten to take them; I'm going to play at a festival in France tomorrow.
They kindly offered to keep open till 1.30 this lunchtime, so I whizzed over to Dalston first for Headway East's Songwriting Workshop.
The guys were amazing- in an hour we wrote an entire song, verses, chorus and other bit (bridge?) and more importantly, everyone joined in singing it at the end. It was really, really fun and I hope to go back there and do more.
After, I leapt into the car and sat behind every slow dust truck in London, every little old man driving at 20 miles and hour in a 30 mile an hour zone, at least four slow u-turns, a half-hour traffic-light controlled roadworks at East Finchley and a series of annoying red traffic lights till I got home, threw the poor cats, who had been snoozing peacefully on the chairs they're not allowed to sleep on, into their cat boxes and roared up the road to South Mimms, getting there in the nick of time.
'What?, asked the cats sleepily as I vanished over the horizon.
Meanwhile, member of the household had locked themselves out and was sitting sadly on the doorstep, sending forlorn texts.
I put my foot down on the accellerator, screeching to a halt outside the front door, receiving a text as I turned off the engine, 'Mannged to get spare key from neighbour'.
Stressed, moi?
I tried to go to sleep for a nap, which I just can't do; I don't know why I ever bother. I wrapped the arms of my spare sweatshirt round my head several times and it was still too light. I could hear every grain of dust (and there are many) rustling around the house, the windows rattling, the little boy next door having a funny game, cars bumping past the window and then the phone rang.
How I wish I had a multi-pack of walnut whips! I ate seven of them the other day, one by one, and they improved the flow of the daily angstfest no end. Note to self: lay in supplies for the Winter now, while they are on special offer!

No comments: