Friday, October 05, 2007

She's a Punk Rocker


I went to see Zillah's film on Wednesday in the West End and I was very pleasantly surprised. I think I'd been expecting something grey and hard-hitting, but instead she has made a colourful and celebratory documentary, which although it consists almost entirely of talking heads (with tantalising slices of archive footage, in particular of X Ray Spex and Poison Girls), is completely riveting all the way through. Although there are the expected people, Poly's bodyguard Mary is a real find and I was touched to see Vi Subversa, who was such a brilliant supporter of beginner-punk-rockers in Brighton and who got the Poison Girl's bass player to lend me her bass (ex-Buzzcoks!!) and who lent us her son, Danny, to play our first few gigs. It also features Michelle from Brigandage, Eve Libertine from Crass, and lots of others.
The film itself is full of acid-house colours and this really lifts it- it's a very positive film; nobody comes over as being cynical, everyone has just the right degree of madness, and everyone also looks fantastic and very stylish, in particular Poly and Gaye, who look downright beautiful. There's no wastage, no filling, but the whole thing is really well-edited so it's perfectly-paced.
I know nothing about film or film-making and I am very easily bored 'cos I don't like sitting still, but this was great.
Afterwards, we all went off to the pub for a bit; they are a very friendly crowd. I think Zillah and myself will try to get some sort of roadshow or event together sometime soon.

Later, I went to Songbird; Katy Carr was there, who I haven't seen for ages, and also Rob from Temposhark, who I didn't recognise at first as I wasn't expecting to see him! It was really buzzing, with assorted Utrophians and Judith the Mermaid too. The Cross Kings is a brilliant venue for Songbird, as it has a dogeared youthclubbish feel to it. I'm playing duets there with Martin Stephenson next month.

Incidentally, after searching for years, both Stella and Dawn from the Objeks (Brighton band) have been in touch separately, and Kate Korus too. All I need is the Au Pairs and Delta 5, and I will have to go for a re-write!

No comments: