Monday, March 24, 2008

Chinese Comic Art and Pizza

Just got back from the South Bank, where I met up with McSis and Little Bruv for a pizza. Who should be at the restaurant but Paul Gravett, who used to publish Escape Magazine. He hasn't changed a bit, and he recognised me so I am optimistic that perhaps I am not looking as ghastly as all that. Escape was a really funky little comic book with a very unusual outlook. I suppose it isn't around any more. It was nice to see that Paul's still about.
He has been organising an exhibition of Chinese comic art- rather unfortunate given the Chinese Government's appalling behaviour in Tibet. I am not sure whether to go along to it or not. I'm certain it's nothing to do with the Chinese artists; but I've found it hard to understand the amount of organisations prepared to do business with China after Tianenman Square. It's one of those mixed moral dilemmas. Art, science, sport, medicine all shouldn't have boundaries, should they? But it was the sporting boycott that broke South Africa in the end, I believe. I think I will probably go to take a look, but do something positive to support Tibet at the same time.
Somebody told me that the Dalai Lama used to go and stay at Bid's house in Tooting (him from the Monochrome Set) with his mum and dad,. I wonder if that's true?

No comments: