Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Writing Again

It could be two months ago, except it couldn't.
During the strike I was sent final editors comments for my book. There's a major restructure in there, and some more research.
I started again this morning, accepting the edits to start with, and then making a list of citations to check and new texts to get hold of. One at least I'll need to go to the British Library for, because there apparently isn't the budget to buy it at the University of the East Library and it costs a hundred quid, beyond my means as a part time lecturer, no music income for the foreseeable future and pay-deducted-for-striking union member.
After reading seven detective novels while I was ill during the strike, I ought to have an appetite for something different. Alas, I haven't, although I'm currently re-reading Charlotte Greig's fantastic book Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, in search of an elusive quote that I kind of know isn't there. There is something really satisfying about this detailed finishing-off of the book, though sometimes I just want to throw the computer out of the window and become a garden designer for ugly industrial sites. This is what fate has dealt me, and this is what I do.

I don't regret the strike for one second, especially after hearing the awful story told to me by a female colleague on the picket line, and reflecting at home on the gender and race of the lecturers who weren't given proper contracts.
It makes my book all the more important to finish, but it's going to take time, still.

I've also been digging about in the old song pile. Richard Sanderson's planning a release, and I can't decide between an ultra cheesy Noel Coward-alike song, or a humorous little ska one.
I still haven't fully got my voice back after the laryngitis that I had a few weeks ago, but normal service will resume very shortly, I think.
There is also plenty to write: I will still be collaborating with Robert Rotifer, remotely. I also have another two projects in the pipeline but my good friend Kenji has advised me to remain stumm about such things in future.
He is right, of course.



No comments: