Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Rehearsals

Rehearsals are in full swing for the gig at The Lexington on 21st March.
On Monday, we rehearsed Johny's songs. This is the first time in my life that I have actually been an accompanist to someone else's music and it teaches you such a lot. One of the things Rhoda was talking about on Sunday while the tunes were being broadcast is how much you have to be aware of the lead singer when you are a backing vocalist, and this feels really similar- watching another person's body language to make sure you fit in with what they are doing. It is really enjoyable and Johny's chords and songs are so different from mine- it is an adventure in a different song country.
I got lost on the way to the rehearsal because my phone's battery died. A very kind chap at the kiosk at the station charged it up, and I realise that Transport for London had directed me to a totally roundabout route which meant  along walk through the rain with my guitar, but the rehearsal was worth it.
Yesterday, I went to St Albans and we picked up where we left off with Rendezvous D'Automne, the song that Francois Hardy sings and that Vic and me did as a duet on his album. That's Vic, Ruth, Dave and me. I've still got to learn the last verse. Words, and French words at that.
This afternoon I'm heading to Brockley to rehearse my own songs with Adi. I'm just about to sort out the set list for that, but I thought I'd have a little procrastinate first.
This whole night is the brainchild of Neil Palmer who drums for The Bitter Springs and The Oldfield Youth Club, and it's being put on by the marvellous Bizarro Productions, who are angels to a lot of touring musicians because they support us so well.
Okily dokily (the Offsprogs deeply dislike my Ned Flanders tendencies): time for a coffee, and then back to music.

1 comment:

Wilky of St Albans said...

I'd forgotten about the Lexington gig. Must get a ticket.

A couple of comments:
You got lost because your phone battery died. I have no sympathy whatsoever. (kids today!)
You came to St Albans! I must have been out....