Sunday, July 07, 2019

Carroll Thompson and Janet Kay: The Queens of Lovers Rock Under The Bridge

There was a lot on in London last night and there was a strong competitor against this particular show, but I'm so glad that I made the decision to go. Janet Kay is performing with the Reggae Choir at the Shaw Theatre later this month and I'd just discovered that it has sold out, which might have swayed the decision.
Under the Bridge is a swanky venue attached to Chelsea Football Ground but it also a very audience-friendly place. The security guards have a light touch and are welcoming (I hope to God they are not on zero hours and get sacked before their workers rights kick in! What astonishingly cruel practices these agencies get away with!), and for an underground venue it has an amazingly spacious and airy feel to it.
Nat Augustin introduced the first artist, Hannah, who sang two songs. The first was the truest to the Lovers Rock spirit; the second was a cover of It's a Man's World which seemed like an odd choice probably made by her label. I would have liked to hear more, especially some more laid-back singing that I felt that she would have really had more affinity with. But who am I to talk? The whole evening made me feel like a complete imposter for even opening my mouth to squawk!
Nat sang one song (again, it would be nice to have heard more) before introducing Janet and Carroll. Boy do they look good! They must be the same age as me and they both look and sound as fresh as daisies. They took turns singing three songs each throughout the evening after singing a song together. It took a while to get used to the glitzy revue style of the show, but actually the warmth emanating from the stage and the really natural presentation of the two singers overrode any glittery fakery.
What a joy! Carrol's first song was Yesterday, my absolute favourite. Yes, I know all the words and so did the rest of the audience. Carroll is a producer and song writer, and any hurt she might feel at not having had a number one like Janet should be pushed to one side by the fact that almost everyone knew all the words to all of her songs and they roared along good naturedly, with her voice soaring above them; think Diana Ross, but more grounded.
Janet treated us to the most wonderful spirited sets. What was interesting was the way that the band was really responsive to the different styles of the two women. Carroll's songs are soulful whereas Janet is much more pop-orientated, and the band bounced during her set.
That voice!!!
I gave up trying to compare them and just settled into listening (and singing).
The only part that wasn't so engaging was the covers section because I know between them they have so much material, but I do understand that they both have albums to promote. It was great to hear Billy Stewart re-worked by Janet and yes, we all knew the words to those songs too.
At several points I almost burst into tears even though this was a very happy concert. I travelled with Pete Astor part of the train journey to Glasgow the other weekend and he was talking about the years after the age of 40 (or was it 50?) where you suddenly realise that you have lived most of your life, so everything you do takes on a deeper significance. I suppose it was partly that, but it was also remembering having seen these two singers and Nat Augustin, at the Albany Empire in Deptford in the mid 1980s. I have always adored Lover's Rock and even used to work with a band making this music at The Peckham Settlement back then; they were men, but their songs and their voices were absolutely of the genre. Philip Leo, Patrick.... I wonder what they are doing now?
The emotions that I felt last night came partly from reconnecting with my own past- so much of which has seems to have fallen into holes and disappeared. I realised I'm doing what I used to do in my early 20s- going to gigs on my own and just completely absorbing the music and songs and atmosphere. I have no idea if this is weird or not and I simply don't care: it must be the way I'm made.
The other side of it, though, was feeling the true affection from the audience for their singers. This was really similar to Pauline's gig the other week where the men were singing along too. Last night those male voices were part of the impromptu choir, from stringy tentative tenors to a real deep-throated baritone emanating from a chap I walked past who seemed to have come on his own and who was totally fixated on the music. People simply couldn't resit singing along, and this was remarkably touching to see and hear.
I left for the tube after Janet sang Silly Games. She could really give Minnie Ripperton a run for the money: Minnie is acrobatic, but Janet has the spirit and obvious headroom to sing higher if she needs to. What was amazing was that we all sang along and hit the high note too- or thought we did.
I travelled home squeaking gently to myself, wondering if it had just been an illusion.
Sorry, fellow tube-travellers!
(alas, no video: I accidentally left my phone at home, which was a blessing in disguise. But do look on Youtube. These women are fantastic and British Lover's Rock has got to be the most under-rated music genre of either the 20th or the 21st centuries).

1 comment:

Wilky of St Albans said...

I assume you're referring to Minnie R in the present tense by accident. The 12th, five days time, marks the 40th anniversary of her death. Far too young.

I have a feeling she appears on 'Where the Girls Are Volume 3' under a different name. It's odd to think her big hit, the one that's best sung in your head, was pre-Punk