Monday, May 27, 2019

Poly Immersion

This, by Zoe Street Howe and Celeste Bell, is a very good book.
Despite the fact that it's a Bank Holiday I have spent the entire day immersed in Poly, from the 1979 BBC Arena documentary Who Is Poly Styrene? through Zilla Ashworth's film She's a Punk Rocker to actually writing and tidying up the chapter on Oh Bondage! Up Yours that is taking me to the Lincoln Centre to present at Fordham University a week on Thursday. The chapter has to be uploaded on Friday and I keep thinking it's almost there and then finding more to tidy up. The event is a day of talks on people's favourite tracks from academics in the US and the UK; everyone has written a chapter, and the whole thing has been organised by Simon Reynolds and Asif Siddiqui. Gradually I can put reference books away and fold up photocopied NME articles. Unless I escape, it's looking likely that the summer's going to be spent responding to editors comments on various bits of writing that I've done.
That and writing disco songs, of course.

No comments: