Friday, August 03, 2018

Sublimeness and Ridiculousness

Ah... an afternoon spent doing horn arrangements for a Wedding Present song, for the At The Edge of The Sea festival a week tomorrow at Concorde 2 in Brighton.
I didn't think we'd be able to do the cover version, because I have had such a lot of tussles with health problems, but the parts are off to the lads so let's see what we can do at the rehearsal on Monday.
Before that I wrote for two hours; I'm halfway through the final book chapter and plan to finish it and send it to the editor on Monday; meanwhile the proofs for the article came back so I'll have to do those too this weekend. It will be too hot to go out and the kitchen isn't too bad to work in; I still went to the supermarket to shop s-l-o-w-l-y to enjoy their air conditioning today, though.
It was empty, so I stayed chatting for a long time to the woman at the till, about air conditioning and other cool things.
Late last night, a former student invited me to perform at an open mic in West London tonight.
Well- why not? I've written out a new song and if my slot is early I'll get a chance to try it out.
What to wear in this heat? Strips of torn up toilet paper just covering the rude bits?
Something like that, anyway: the flimsy clothing's getting a lot of wear this year.
What is the ridiculous bit? The plug getting so stuck in the sink in the bathroom that I couldn't lever it out, no matter how hard I tried, and I had to go to Robert Dyas and get a little plunger. That worked, but it's yet another thing that has gone wrong, including having bought a car last year whose tyres regularly completely flatten, randomly, whether or not I use it; the parsley being completely eaten by snails; moths rampaging through all the clothes; and a hole in the window frame which I keep forgetting to fill in because I am busy.
But I saw Emmy the Great in the British Library yesterday, as well as my McNiece on the way back, and it was air-conditioned too which helped the three-hour tutorial along somewhat.
Now where's that cup of tea?

No comments: