Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Not-Going-To-Carnival

Every year it seems so tempting, but then I remember the year the police went bad and cornered my friend Kim and scared her so much. How can you tell when they've decided that's what's going to happen? I don't think anything more than usual had happened to provoke them.
In my head, in my head, I imagine the sound systems and remember the year I saw Aswad play- what a magnificent band they were.
There were four invitations to parties this weekend, apart from that, and only so much energy. As a single non-drinker, I opted for what I thought was the closest and socially safest one and ended up making a five hour round trip, having to leave after a very short time and just as everything hotted up in order not to get stranded. It reminded me of driving Martin to all those far-flung west London gigs through endless traffic jams; wealthy people don't need public tranport, but I did!
Asbo Derek made my laugh my head off; riffs and humour together make perfect entertainment, and the silly stuff round the edges (Brian the drummer grumbling 'get on with it' in the background) made it even funnier. The party was full of Postmen, as it was Vic's retirement do, and featured a cake judging competition.
Monday was spent on a long urban walk along the Regent's Canal, and writing a song. This was only the second one this year, but that's OK because I have been out playing, recording, and making a life. It is a very intense song, which is not surprising as there is a lot saved up to say but it has to be right when it comes out. 'Write a rocky song with a riff', said the alter-ego instructor. What came out sounded mediaeval and bore the influences of listening to the harp player at The Edge of the Sea festival. And yesterday Katy invited me to Hampstead Ladies Pond, a completely new experience. I'd heard stories of kingfishers flying overhead and catching fish but they weren't about; there was plentiful tranquility, cool water with weeds tickling your toes, an elderly male voyeur pretending not to be one, and plans to co-mentor songs for each of our new albums.
Today is rest day; soon the students will be back and it will be time to give them all my time and energy (well, almost).

1 comment:

an ex student said...

What is the Staff Canteen like & how much is a cup of tea?