Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Edinburgh Conference

There's a really good conference coming up on Thursday in Edinburgh called The Business of Live Music; I am going to at least a day of it. It will be packed with interesting people talking about music scenes all over the world, some from a business point of view and others from a cultural point of view.
It is organised by Professor Simon Frith, whose books are so engaging that I always ask my students to read them as a first point of call in academic writing about rock music.
He is also a Cristina fan (famous for her tracks Disco Clone and the controversial Is That All There Is? which was banned because of its negative lyrics), as I discovered at The Art of Record Production conference a few years ago, and so am I.
We are few and far between, as her thin and airy disco tracks don't appeal to the more 'cool' disco fans. But there's a certain cool about being anti-cool, although nothing in this world would make me listen to Britney Spears or Lady Gaga, the Thermos flasks of pop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend from secondary school fell off the Crags after an amorous liaison having fallen asleep. She broke her leg, but was otherwise undamaged. He, on the other hand, found the whole experience so traumatic that he could hardly meet her eye the next time they passed in the corridor…