Friday, August 13, 2010

A Story In Pictures

This is probably a personal record, but there was an atmosphere at the gallery and outside it in the street I can't describe in words.
Pic show Gaye Advert who organised the exhibition, which is a roaring success; Zillah Ashworth, member of Rubelle Ballet and film-maker (her film She's a Punk Rocker is available from www.voiceprint.co.uk); Naz (a photographer), Poly Styrene and Terri (on of the few female sound engineers in the UK); Spizz. all lit up (I remember him from the Moonlight Club in West Hampstead: he looks a hell of a lot punkier now. I loved his single, Where's Captain Kirk, and I've still got it); the after-show club, a rococo delight, with its feathered lampshades, sweets, teddies, gold statues, grand piano and cocktails; and a self portrait taken in the mirror, in front of a chair shose seat is made of deflated balloons.
I have just done a phone interview with Poly for the book. She has a new CD coming out in February, which features Viv Albertine on guitar on one track. It was produced by Youth from Killing Joke.
The exhibition? It was packed out, and I couldn't see the pictures, so I'll go back another day!

1 comment:

Antonionioni said...

Never mind, some interesting pictures and, in some cases, familiar faces! Can't see much of yours though!