Friday, January 09, 2009

Morning Musings and More On the Silly Saga of the Bins

Wow. After a festive season that has felt at times as though I was an elephant asked to cross a field of eggshells without breaking any, I have had a couple of days to breathe. Tiredness has hit me and I'm glad I have a short break in Barcelona coming up next week. It is probably cold there, but Spain-cold, not England-cold, which I am sure will be different.
I have been listening to Jim Byrne's CD, On These Dark Nights and have been enjoying his guitar pickin', especially on the track Weather Girl, which has a sparkly old-timey feel. I also particularly like the countryish Tenderness, but the best track (I'm a sucker for the catchy ones) is Sunday Morning, which has a strong riff and a singalong chorus, and a dark little twist to the lyrics. His myspace is www.myspace.com/dexterslim.
Last night I recorded another weird track, All Systems Go!, a totally quirky pop song. I am going to spend part of tomorrow editing it. I love editing sound, but Garageband is a pain to do this on if you are used to Logic Audio. I reckon if I can get through the pain threshold and learn a bit of patience, that will be a Good Thing. It's sort of fun taking up the challenge of combating things like latency when you pile on the backing vocals; I'd been thinking of getting some backing vocalists. Terribly tempting to be able to render my songs live complete with harmonies, but if you make space for band members the space tends to become a hole when they are not there for some reason, and I am very wary of that.

Finally, a bit of bin news! The council agreed to buy back my new bin after the return of the prodigal bin, so I washed it out
ready. Fiendishly early this morning a lorry drew up and proceeded to load up the old bin, complete with rubbish, which I'd put out last night for the normal Friday collection. Blearily I watched them from the window before dashing downstairs.
"No! No! That's the wrong bin! It's full of rubbish! I washed out the other one for you to take back!
'Doesn't matter luv', the driver smiled through the early morning fog, and drove off.

2 comments:

chimesey said...

"Fiendishly early this morning "

Last Thursday morning -New Year's Day -I thought 'I'll take my recycling down a bit later'... good intentions and all that... then heard the idiosyncratic sound of a Compacter Van (as they're known in the trade) doing it's crushing thing down near the bin area... No! It can't be them! At this time?!? Today?!!??

Heh!

Helen McCookerybook said...

Don't know why but this reminds me of the Holy Open-Top Routemaster that used to drive though Camberwell at 8.00 on a Saturday morning blasting live gospel music from a choir on the top deck through all the Saturday morning hangovers on its route. A frisson of excitement from waking the sinners who rise later than dawn, whatever the time of year!