Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Work

Of course, the Universities start up again soon; work changes from touring ( I love it) to teaching (I love it sometimes). This time last year, two weeks of Jury Service landed on my head just as teaching time hotted up; while I was away, a conference threw my students out of the studio for being noisy (they were- it's music!- but they were meant to be there recording their songs). A nightmare of angry students turned into a tempest of trouble, which has taken all year to recover from. But there, in front of my eyes, were two brand new control rooms and a large live room, with a technician beaming from ear to ear so widely the top of his head fell off on to the mixing desk.
My colleague-in-the-office was back from her hols, glowing with peace and happiness; the little planes across the dock queued up patiently, oblivious to human concerns like the dynamic between work and holiday, for verily, they are merely machines at the mercy of human needs and will, and have no emotions to interrupt their mechanical drill.
I have a huge stack of Mojo freebie CDs in my office, waiting to be listened to and put onto my iPod. I have two Mon Fio badges, green and red; some alphabet sweets that I spell out silly words with on top of my computer. Sometimes I have a guitar for those odd moments of inspiration. And of course the room is stacked high with papers, just like every other paperless office.
Shortly, I shall apply my nose to the grindstone. I've got 2 jobs now, to make ends meet, and I am hoping the end of one will meet the beginning of the other and there won't be a financial hole in the middle. But I am still the singerplayerperson, and will be doing that too to keep my spirits in good order.

No comments: